The Guion Memorial (1856-1859)
This is a photo of the Guion Memorial, a 19th-century textile or mourning picture, typical of the period 1790-1840. It shows mourners gathered around the headstone of Monmouth Hart Guion (1771-1833), with the White Plains Presbyterian Church in the background. The church is the present stone structure, completed in 1856, the third sanctuary erected on this site. The Guions were one of Westchester’s pioneer families, with roots in Rye and White Plains. Louis Guion (c. 1654-1732), progenitor of the clan, was a Huguenot from La Rochelle, France, who arrived in New Rochelle, New York, around 1687.