A weekly account of my Sabbath practice.
1. Slept in an extra half-hour.
2. Took out the garbage.
3. Finished reading Volume 1 of the Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works: Sanctorum Communio: A Theological Study of the Sociology of the Church. This is the English version of the critical German edition of Bonhoeffer’s 1927 Doctoral Dissertation. I am currently working through Volume 10: Barcelona, Berlin and New York, and have come to the point where Dietrich, working as a vicar in Barcelona, has finished editing his dissertation, so I paused to read the edited version – 350 pages to understand just what he means by “Christ existing as church-community.” I now own the complete 16 volumes and have a whole new appreciation for this amazing man. I think working through them, as well as several biographies and novels, will be a project for prayer and reflection in 2014.
4. Eggs for lunch.
5. Time and conversation with Noelle. Thoughts about buying a home.
6. Wrapping Christmas presents accompanied by the Grateful Dead.
9. August reading to me.
10. House cleaning with good tunes.
12. The Hunger Games.
14. Finishing the new novel by Neil Gaiman, The Ocean at the End of the Lane.